I am a Research Scientist at Google Brain where I am driving efforts pertaining to large language models and artificial general intelligence. Previously, I was a Tech Lead of a small US-based research team at Google AI. You can find my Google Research homepage here. These days I’m interested in language models, transformers, machine learning and scaling research.
Previously, I obtained my PhD from NTU, Singapore.
Fun Fact: I also obtained an associate diploma in classical piano performance from Trinity College London in 2012.
Work Experience and Education
- Research Scientist (Nov 2019 - Now)
- Google Brain, Singapore (Nov 2022 - Now)
- Google AI/Research, Singapore (Jan 2022 - Nov 2022)
- Google AI/Research, Mountain View California (Nov 2019 - Jan 2022)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) - Computer Science (Jan 2016- June 2019)
- NTU, Singapore
- Bachelors of Engineering (B.Eng) - Computer Science (Aug 2011- Dec 2015)
- NTU, Singapore
Full CV is available upon request.
- I am Singaporean and happily married to Vanessa Chew. The origin of my online persona (github id, vanzytay) is the fusion of our names.
- I enjoy classical music and classical piano, especially works of Chopin, Liszt and Beethoven. I used to practice a lot, and enjoy tackling Chopin and Liszt etudes. I don’t actively practice anymore but I still enjoy listening to awesome classical music every now and then.
- I wish I could say more about work life balance.
Some guidance can be found below:
- Preferred mode of contact is my personal email at firstname.lastname@example.org. LinkedIn message is also good. You could also follow me on Twitter at ytay017 :).
- Please send me emails or messages in English.
- I do not intend to review for journals with some exceptions (i.e., good ones such as TACL, TMLR, JMLR). Please stop spamming me with invitations to review for journals 😠!!!!
- Pertaining to pre-Google work: all released source code can be found on my github. Stuff that are not already on my github have no planned release. I also have a full time job and do not plan on providing customer service or digging up old code.
- For code at where I currently work, everything is subject to approval. I can give you an ETA if you send me an email but this is non-negotiable (and again, sometimes out of my control). I also cannot randomly send pieces of files through email to the outside world so please don’t request “just for a csv file”.
- In the interest of my own time, sanity and work commitments I may not reply (promptly or altogether) to misc email or linkedin messages.